The solution finds a way to integrate green policies and simultaneously create knowledge hubs and research material to reinforce public governance and policy decision-making in Egypt through disseminating information about green technologies and the benefits of coupling economic and environmental considerations within the context of a "green economy".
The green economy success stories research report of Egypt supports the government and creates an inclusive community dialogue to showcase the benefits of green business ventures as well as reinforcing the facilitating role that the government should play in supporting green projects. The report showcases 8 selected case studies to highlight the opportunities and challenges regarding green initiatives and presents the government with the necessary solutions to foster a national transition to a green economy. In addition, prior research has been done to identify success stories of sustainable entrepreneurship in the Arab Mediterranean countries.
The solution has achieved the followings:
- The report has been a significant policy-lobbying document for decision makers to harness political and public consensus on the definition and importance of green business programmes and initiatives.
- It has provided needs assessment of the current challenges and policy gaps faced by businesses and green initiatives.
- The report has underscored the importance of the role of the government in engaging different community stakeholders in the design and implementation of a green economy related policy framework.
- It has positively showcased that ventures which adopt green environmental standards could grow into successful and profitable business models capable of replication and scalability.
- It demonstrates the potential of creating green jobs through successful and profitable business initiatives which will contribute in addressing one of Egypt most pressing and chronic problems.
The important message delivered by the research is that the Green businesses have the ability to be profitable through adopting innovative technologies, and consolidating environmental and business considerations thus generating green jobs that will mostly benefit young people.
The success stories can be used as lobbying and evidence-based material on the success of green related initiatives with governmental institutions and investment organizations such as banks to provide the required funds for young people to start their own green businesses.
The sustainable entrepreneurship research has provided excellent examples for job creation that can be replicated in other countries by:
- Showcasing the applicability and success of green projects and ventures
- Demonstrating the positive role that the government can play in supporting green related policies
- Presenting employment opportunities and new skills acquired by involved entities.
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), UNEP/MAP Cleaner Production / Regional Activity Center
- Centre for Environment and Development for the Arab Region and Europe (CEDARE), Ministry of State for Environmental Affairs of Egypt
CEDARE - Centre for Environment and Development for the Arab Region & Europe
Hossam Hallam, Regional Programme Manager, Strategic Concerns Programme
Tel: (202)-24513921/2/3/4 ext:666 / +20-100-5840814