Geographic focus: All the Arab states; all the 56 member countries are eligible to participate in this Programme, including the Arab states
The S and T programme focuses on cooperation for knowledge and technology transfer and partnership in scientific research among member countries. It promotes and encourages the acquisition and dissemination of knowledge through activities such as short-term assignments of experts, exchange of scientists, networking amongst associations of scientists, organization of on-the-job training courses as well as conferences. The activities financed under the S and T are based on a South-South approach aiming at transferring proven technologies among the member countries and at contributing to capacity development. Specifically, the objectives of the S and T Programme are two-fold:
- To promote human and institutional capacity enhancement
- To acquire and disseminate knowledge related to the field of science and technology
Modalities and Procedures
To be eligible to benefit from this programme, all the applications must be supported and endorsed by the Office of the IDB Governor or the National Focal Point for the country concerned. In terms financing, since the programme is based on a tripartite approach, financial contributions are expected as well from the donor country and the beneficiary/host country. As part of capacity development in the Member Countries, S and Tutilizes three vehicles for the promotion and accomplishment of the objectives of the programme.
- Exchange of Scientists between centres of excellence A trilateral cooperation is established between an advanced centre in a given field, one or more less advanced counterpart centres in the same field with IDB as a facilitator.
- Recruitment of Experts The experts are recruited to help IDB member countries to prepare a specific scientific study or to provide advisory services for capacity building purposes. The transfer of knowledge and know how of the expert to the member countries is a key feature of the programme, which complements the capacity building efforts of the beneficiary in the desired scientific field. In this regard, the beneficiary country must specify its needs and the desired assignment in details to be undertaken by the experts. In addition to the nature and tasks to be performed under the assignment, a definite period for execution of the assignment should also be stipulated, while taking into account that the maximum period for an expert`s assignment is six months.
- Provision of On-the-Job Training (OJT) OJT vehicle aims to augment the skills and enrich the experience and know-how in science and technology of technical and professional staff. It consists of the two main types, namely Formal Training and Study and Familiarization Visits.
- Formal Training
Training courses are organized for the middle management and technical officials in public or private organizations in order to upgrade their skills and knowledge and improve proficiency in their performance.For the organization of training courses, the beneficiary institution/country must recommend candidates for short-term training (maximum 4 months) and it must ensure to prepare clear justifications highlighting their needs and the area in which they would like to enhance their knowledge and expertise.
- Study and Familiarization Visits
These visits are targeting the senior-level officials at the level of heads of ministries, organizations and departments with the objective of acquainting them with the activities and structure of similar institutions/ industries of other member countries and helping them in enriching their experience and knowledge.
- Formal Training
- Organization of Workshops and Seminar Seminars and workshops provide the beneficiary countries with the opportunity to exchange experiences on a specific science-related subject and, hence enhancing their knowledge and understanding of that subject. Therefore, this sort of events plays a crucial role in disseminating knowledge on science and technology between the relevant institutions from member countries. In addition to this, seminars and workshops facilitate the networking among members in scientific institutions. For the workshops and seminars, the countries and organizations presenting seminar/workshop proposals are required to submit detailed information on the background and objectives of the respective seminar/workshop and to justify how these events would address the needs of the country. If any professional speakers are required for the event, the Organizer would send to the potential speaker candidates a brief information bulletin giving a synopsis of the content of the seminar/ workshop, the programme, the target group and the qualifications and experience they should possess.
Egypt, Jordan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia
Total Budget (USD): Around 10 M
Focal Point and Contact:
Riad R. Ahmed, Br. Manager:
Moncef Soudani, Br. Project Officer
Islamic Development Bank Building
Qasr Khuzam Street 5925, Jeddah