ChildPact is a network of networks that brings together 600 child-focused NGOs from 10 different countries created in 2011 as an informal coalition at the Black Sea NGO Forum held in Bucharest, Romania by a joint initiative of the presidents of 7 child-focused national coalitions in the region. In January 2015, ChildPact was officially registered as a formal coalition of coalitions.
Countries involved: Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Kosovo*, Moldova, Romania, Serbia, Bulgaria
The network has 3 main strategic objectives:
- To advocate for and contribute to evidence based policy-making that embeds child protection at all levels of decision and implementation.
- To support the strengthening of its members’ capacity to tackle current and emergent issues in child protection.
- Act as a reference point on child protection issues based on the Child Protection Index.
As a regional coalition, Child Pact is able to capitalize the knowledge and expertise developed within the region and facilitate the sharing of experience among member countries. This has been done through high- and working-level meetings, as well as various projects that Child Pact implemented.
For example, in 2013 Child Pact organized a 4-day study visit to Romania to discuss regional reforms in the child protection system and share Romanian lessons during this process with child protection experts from the Republic of Moldova, Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan. Also, a mentoring program was created to share lessons learned during the Romanian transition and EU integration process. The mentoring program was addressed to young leaders in child-focused NGOs in Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan and the Republic of Moldova.
One of the most important outcomes consists in The Child Protection Index, which is an innovative comparative policy tool, organized and implemented by local and national level civil society organizations, that measures a country’s current child protection system against a common set of indicators.
Other medium and long term outcomes resulted by the membership of the national child-focused coalitions to ChildPact are as follows:
- The strengthening of the internal capacities of the coalitions (for instance: establishment of internal governance guidelines; the institutionalization of a General Assembly of members; the consolidation of a coalition’ secretariat etc.)
- The profile of the national coalition has been raised and made more visible at regional and European levels because of the channeling of the coalitions’ messages through the ChildPact communication channels and advocacy messages.
- The coalitions’ capacity to advocate at national, regional and European levels has been scaled up through ChildPact’s targeted advocacy assistance and capacity building efforts in the field.
- Concrete child protection advancements have been achieved in the members’ countries because of the professional exchanges and governmental filed visits organized and intermediated by ChildPact for its members.
- Good practices in the field of child protection in the members’ countries have been stimulated by the mentoring programmes led by ChildPact.
- The level of professionalization in the child-focused coalitions has increased thanks to the capacity building efforts paid by ChildPact.
- Regional cooperation has been promoted and strengthened through the involvement of the members in ChildPact’s activities – valuable child protection lessons have been made available from one country to another.
- The policy-engagement capacities of the coalitions have increased through ChildPact’s projects.
- The sustainability perspectives of the coalitions have increased through the fundraising and public-engagement strategies and programmes led by ChildPact for its members.
Budget: 50.000 EUR / year
Partners: World Vision, Australian Aid, European Commission, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Romania, UNDP, Oak Foundation, Romanian NGO Federation for Child Protection (FONPC), Otvoreni Klub - Association for Development of Children and Youth
Contact person: Mirela Oprea, ChildPact Secretary General
Phone: 0040 731 444 636