The African Union Commission in Partnership with FHI360, a USAID-funded project under the African Union Partnership (AUP) organized an Exhibition parallel to the 1st Specialized Technical Committee Meeting on Education Science and Technology (STC-EST). The exhibition involved model Technical, Vocational, Education and Training (TVET) and exhibitors show casing Space Science initiatives from African countries. Participants included AU Ministers of Education, Science and Technology; Senior Education, Science and Technology Officials; Regional Economic Communities; Development Partners (as observers).
- Update Ministers on the status of on-going programmes and on RECs and Member States’ performance in the education, science and technology sectors;
- Discuss AU Summit Decisions relevant to the conduct of education, science and technology on the continent;
- Consider the Education and TVET strategies and the STISA implementation plan;
- Consider the Africa Space Policy and Strategy;
- Consider funding and mobilization of resources, especially domestic resources; and
- Establish precedence for conducting AU continental business in the fields of education, science and technology
The project was done in October 2015. More information:
- Endorsement of the Continental Strategy for Education for Africa (CESA 16-25) and other continental strategies, roadmaps and implementation plans in education, science and technology;
- Agreement on reporting and follow up mechanisms for the continental agenda;Actions for decisions during the next Summit of Heads of State.
- Actions for decisions during the next Summit of Heads of State.
Replication: the following can be replicated in other countries:
- Election of a new Ministerial Bureau for the running of the STC in the following two years
- New mechanisms for partnerships to promote greater complementarity between Education and STI sectors in the continent with special focus on the AU Agenda 2063 journey.
- Provision of updates on the status of on-going programmes, as well as RECs and member States’ performance in the education, science and technology sectors
- TVET strategies, the STISA implementation plan, and the Africa Space Policy and Strategy
Department of Human Resources, Science and Technology (HRST)
Directorate of Information and Communication
African Union Commission
Telephone: +251 11 551 7700 / +251 11 518 25 58