Until recently, there was a lack of high-quality, well-structured websites managed by companies creating digital content for Arabic-speaking users and of original, localized, high-quality content.
In order to support rural-urban integration into one knowledge society, and to empower communities through the provision of easy access to the information they need, in order to widen their horizons, and to increase their future and career opportunities. The Egyptian Ministry of Communication & Information Technology (MCIT) launched Kenanaonline jointly with the United Nation Development Program (UNDP) in 2007.
The objective is to increase useful Arabic E-content available on the internet, support citizens (in rural & urban areas) to use information technology to improve skills, career, income, health, agriculture, and knowledge, and helping communities move towards the Knowledge Society.
KenanaOnline work scope depends mainly on two major strategies:
- Networking and partnership: This is done through building a network of community partners from NGOs, experts, academia, universities, entrepreneurs and private sectors in every targeted field. In a parallel way, each partner actually participates in establishing a promising information society and implicitly encourages activities related to networking, business opportunities, and e-marketing.
- Community Mobilization: This is done through developing a series of public activities that are mainly directed towards raising awareness using Kenanaonline features and services. These series also targets mobilizing the Arabic-speaking people to actively participate in enlarging Kenanaonline knowledge networks, and enhancing the specialized free e-content.
Kenanaonline provides user-friendly online applications that allow users to build their online knowledge base to provide their communities with knowledge and consultancy in their respective fields of expertise. This service includes:
- Business directory system
- Websites and blogs creations services
- Internet marketing tools (Newsletter, classified Ads.)
- Customer Relation Management.
Since the launch, the solution contributed to establishing the knowledge society in MENA region by leading and moderating the generation and management of credible and specialized knowledge portals and developing the social mindset for using ICT in utilizing knowledge for sustainable community development and achieved the following:
- 1,390,000 pages published on the Internet
- 1,000 page added daily/ 30,000 per month
- 37,000 Daily visit
- 46,000 unique daily visitors.
The project can be replicated in other Arabic-speaking countries.
Partnerships: The Italian Cooperation, the Ministry of Agriculture, General Authority for Fish Resources Development, the Ministry of Social Solidarity, Egypt Arts Academy, the Egyptian Association for Persons with Special Need, Dreamers of Tomorrow Association.
Mailing Address: South-South Development Academy: 6th Ibn Maysser st., off Mahmoud Azmy st., Zamalek
Tel: (02) 2737 5086/7/8/9