Development challenge and key achievements:
The project aims to support education, health and agricultural sectors with alternative solutions of using renewable energy (PV modules) through:
- Provision of alternative energy during power cutting in Gaza strip.
- Reduction of CO2 and fuel consumption during operation of generator(s) in case of cutting power situation.
- Raising the standard of living of people in green environment without pollution
- Decrease the load on the national electricity grid.
The proposed programme will be divided into three packages as follows:
- Construction of solar cells for four schools.
- Construction of solar cells for one submersible pump.
- Construction of solar cells for two healthcare clinics.
- PV solar cells will be utilized in public sectors to reduce the electricity consumption, save energy and cost as well as maintain a green environment in four schools, two maternal clinics and a water well.
- The concept of renewable energy is mainstreamed in three main infrastructure sub-sectors, where, on average, more than 50% of the energy consumption is saved for each intervention.
The comparative advantage of the solution:
- Addressing the huge deficit in power supply to the premises and the high cost of providing power through the use of fossil fuel with the accompanying death accidents due to the misuse of the small generators.
- Clean effect and noise free of using the PV cells for providing power for clinics and schools
- Lowering the electricity bill more than 50%.
UNDP partners in this project are the Ministries of Education and Higher Education, Health, Palestinian Water Authority, the “Down Syndrome Children Society”, and sector regulator “Palestinian Energy and Natural Resources Authority” as the first partner. These partners were committed to maintain and safeguard the solar cells; the concept of using solar cells and the green energy was mainstreamed and the schoolchildren became familiar with such concepts and use.
Emphasis should be exerted on the learning and know-how of this new technology The use of renewable energy should be a part of the general strategy for the region in which it is being implemented and through market survey, the places where the PV cells to be used in respect to potential buildings that might shade the cells in the future (accurate planning).
Recent Annual Budget (USD): 1,000.000
Focal Point and Contact:
Omar Bin Abdel Aziz Street,
Al Remal, Gaza,