The solution seeks to minimize the use of chemical fertilizers in agriculture that have been excessively used in planting all kinds of crops over the years. The project started in 2014 with support of local community development associations in six villages in Minya Governate and engagement of the village youth in creation of the compost units and delivering trainings for farmers on safe disposal of all kinds of agricultural waste and best use of compost in agriculture.
The programme includes the following elements:
- Awareness raising on the potential harm of fertilizers on the health, environment and sustainability of agriculture and importance of composting for sustainable and environment-friendly agricultural production
- Women and Youth Empowerment through involvement of youth and females in the process of training and knowledge and skills implementation
Due the efforts of the project 1000 farmers in Abokokras and Malawy districts of Minya Governate were trained on the sustainability of the units by youth trainers in the villages and, consequently, 1000 compost units were made out of available local materials, including disposal of the pollutants from water channels .
The solution led to the following changes in livelihoods and production :
- Decrease the input production costs for farmers by replacing use of conventional chemical fertilizers with disposed manure farmers: decreased by 30 % the first season, by 50% the second season in comparison to the initial figure and by 60% the third season in comparison to the initial figure.
- Better knowledge of housewives in safe collection, conveyance, storage and disposal of manure.
- Better household hygiene.
- Farms and irrigation channels cleaned from waste.
- Water easy delivered to farms and amount of water lost reduced.
- Public expenditure for cleaning and maintenance of irrigation channels reduced.
- Better life environment: risk of diseases caused by agricultural waste in streets decreased.
- Units/unit costs 300- 350 EGP = 46 USD
- Training farmers/farmer costs = 26 USD.
- Awareness sessions/person costs = 7 USD.
- Administrative expenses/person: = 7 USD.
- Total cost: 86 USD per Person
Partners: Social Fund of Egypt, EU Egypt office, Abnaa El Watan (Malawy - Hmady Village), New Gneneration (Malawy- El Areen), Muslim Charity Association (Malawy- El Barageel), Hayat Association (Abo Morkas District- Abokorkas Village), The National Female Association (Abo Korkas district-Mansafees), Nahdet El Eghatha( Abo Kokas District Abo Ghereer )
Together Association for Development and Environment (TADE)
31 A Elfateh st, close to Eltarbia and Eltalem building 5th floor Ard Soltan - El Minia - Egypt
Mr. Sameh Seif Ghaly, Head of the Board